Still no talk about SMART goals – only the ‘real and honest’ details found here. The last word on goals is that we need to know where we are going so we can purposefully live our lives and move forward.
Simply by coming up with goals in 2017 you are already ahead of so many people. Celebrate the win!
What becomes the true defining moments, though, is if you are still looking at them and on your way to achieving them, come March, June, September or December! I say that because goals have a tendency fall away, if we don’t TAKE ACTION to make them happen EVERY DAY!!
We need to see our handwritten (yes, not typed) goals, everyday and goals need to be reviewed on a regular basis – for some people this is monthly, others its longer, depending on the person and the goal.
To recap the month and also to set goals we require:
- A connection to them – Remember how I asked you to write down what excites you and how then becomes the basis of your goals? Your goals SHOULD excite you! This excitement wholeheartedly connects us to our goals.
- A true desire to achieve them – you cannot half-heartedly want to achieve your goals – you either want them to happen or you need to review your goals!
- An image in our mind of what it will physically look and feel like – If you haven’t thought about this, how do you ever expect to get there or even for some goals – know what it feels like?
- Knowledge of why the goals are so important to you – When you know your why, the actually achieving the goals becomes easy – there needs to be no question in your mind about the reasons you want what you want!
So, go forth, be sure to also:
- measure your progress (so you know how far you have come) and
- celebrate your wins (in your own ways)
And keep in your mind, not all goals will be earth shattering, some will be small and may seem insignificant, but it’s all PROGRESS. Setting and achieving goals is about constantly improving and ‘being better than yesterday’.