Have you written down what excites you yet? You see, this was the task after listening to the first ‘I Choose Marvellous’ Facebook Live session. To get started with your goals, write down what excites you. Go on, do it now.
This can be more challenging than you think! When was the last time you really thought about the things that excite you?
Sometimes as adults we get so caught up in what we ‘have to’ do we don’t get to think about what excites us! Here’s your chance – when we know what we want or where we would like to be, creating plans to get ‘there’ get a whole lot easier!!
Here are the dot points on goals that I want you take away:
- We all know about the SMART goals framework – so I’m not going to cover this – if you aren’t familiar with it – just google it.
- We are talking about next level goal setting here, goals so personalised that they get you out of bed in the morning, to make sure they happen!
- Goals need to be written down – there is something really powerful about your own handwriting! And put somewhere you can see them everyday.
- You need to be accountable for your goals – one way to do this is to tell someone you trust, someone who has your back all the details of your plan – so they can diplomatically inquire about the goals from time to time – this keeps you honest.
- You have to own your goals, or in other words take responsibility for them – don’t use someone else’s, that’s just silly. If you own them, they are yours and no one can take them away, but by owning them, means you are the only one who can make them happen!
- Measure your progress – it is like when you are doing a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and you compare what you have done to the box – it doesn’t matter if you have only done the borders, at least you have started and know how much you have to go until you finish it.
- You must celebrate wins – a win is any progress. Every step along the way to a goal is a win. Whilst I’m not suggesting crackers and fireworks every time you get ahead, celebrating wins keeps us in the game. It allows us to ‘review’ if you like how far we’ve come and ultimately keeps us on track by making the progress seem worthwhile.
Wow, my blogs this year were going to be shorter than 2016….I think this one is not. Goals are just so crucial to choosing marvellous lives that I don’t apologise for this longer than expected post!
If you haven’t already, write down the things that excite you and get thinking. Thinking about how you can have more of them in 2017 and beyond!!